The Red Thread

Once our eyes have been opened we can't pretend that
we don't know what to do; for God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls
knows that we know and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs
24:12

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Hoping for a better night

I am asking for prayers for Owen.  He has really struggled today with the pain.  It is so hard to see your baby in so much pain. 
Owen's surgery went really well.  The doctor was very happy with what they found once they were inside.  It turns out my boy is 1 in a million (I already knew that).  He apparently had 2 fistulas not just one.  So it seems China did in fact do a good job fixing his fistula, only they didn't notice the second one.  Our doctor said it is very uncommon for a child to have 2 so they fixed the first one and didn't go looking for any more.  Surprise!  Doctor Schropp said this was in fact good news.  Now he is the first one to repair this fistula.  The chances for a re-fistulation are pretty high on a site that had been repaired previously.  Dr Schropp feels like he stands a very good chance of this finally fixing him.  Praise the Lord. 



So we are in the pediatric intensive care unit where they are taking very good care of him.  They are having trouble keeping his pain under control.  They don't want to give him so much pain medication that he stops breathing.  They do not want to put him on a vent.  He has a chest tube in so he is very sore.  He  wants to keep me in his sight at all times.  He will only calm down if I am holding his hand or rubbing his head.  So of course I am happy to do that for him. 
We are hoping he feels like having the kids come to see him tomorrow evening.  They are dying to see for themselves that Owen is doing alright.  We also have high hopes that he will be able to start the feeding tubes in the morning.  They tried to start him on it today and he just wasn't ready for it.   He is off the oxygen now and able to maintain his oxygen levels. He is also running a fever. 
Owen is such a strong little guy.  He just amazes me.  I am so blessed that I get to be his momma.  I get to be here to offer him all the love and comfort he needs.  The last time he had this surgery he was all alone. That just breaks my heart.  It is no wonder he wont let me (and his thumb)out of his sight.  
Now we are going to try to get some sleep before they come back in to check on him.  Please continue to pray for Owen and his healing.

3 comments:

  1. I hope the docs are able to manage Owen's pain well. That's got to break your heart. I bet that chest tube hurts. Poor guy. Thankfully they found the second fistula and were able to repair it. And I hope that is the beginning and end of that! Continuing to pray for your precious boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is heart breaking to think about him all alone having endured so much. Even more reason to Praise the Lord.....Owen is with the best mommy, daddy, brother and sisters....he is SO loved and cared for, and he has the best doctors and now on the road to recovery. He is so precious and I am extremely blessed to be his aunt. My heart overflows with thankfulness to the Lord. I am praying for him continually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It breaks my heart that Owen is in pain! It was so great to hear that his fistulas were fixed and he is now on his way to recovery! I hope that his pain can be managed by his doctors! I am praying for your sweet Owen! He sure is a cutie!!! Piper is getting oxygen through her nose to help her to remember to breathe while she is sedated!

    ReplyDelete