The Red Thread

Once our eyes have been opened we can't pretend that
we don't know what to do; for God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls
knows that we know and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs
24:12

Saturday, January 14, 2012

We are still here

Owen and I are STILL at the hospital.  They ended up moving us downtown to the main children's hospital.  We will most likely be here until Tuesday or Wednesday.  Owen has not had surgery yet.  It has been a major test on my mommy skills.  For those of you who aren't familiar with Owen, he came to us as a failure to thrive child.  He was suffering the effects of starvation and neglect.  He has been doing so well bonding with us.  He was just starting to trust that any time he asked for food I would provide for him.  He was starting to get stronger everyday.  Then Wednesday night he ended up in the ER.  They determined that he has/had a re-fistulation in his trachea/esophagus.  In other words, he can't eat because his food keeps going into his lungs.  Once we got transported downtown and settled into our room it was already after 5pm.  We knew he wasn't going to get surgery that night (Thursday).  We asked if they could feed him by a feeding tube tonight and then get him ready for surgery on Friday.  They said no, it was to risky to feed him even with a tube.  He would not be able to eat until after he had surgery.  OK, while I was not crazy about this answer, I went along with it.  Friday came and we still had no idea if and when he was going to surgery.  Owen was beginning to show signs of shutting down again.  I continued to press every person that entered his room.  They all said they couldn't make the decision of how and when he could eat, surgery needed to make the decision.  Needless to say, I had to go over some heads and demand some answers.  Then a meeting was set up with what I was told was the whole team and we would have a decision.  I knew once the "team" came in the door that surgery was not with them.  Joel and I had to stop them from the same old line.  I told them that we could all go down to surgery and talk to someone or else I was going to make the decision for them.  I would feel him by mouth!  They didn't like this idea at all so amazingly enough surgery was produced and he told me Owen was not on the schedule and the earliest they could do surgery was Monday and that was even a little iffy.  I stated again that that is all well and fine, but my child was eating or we were leaving. 
By 5:30pm Friday night Owen got a feeding tube placed.  Unfortunately we are stuck here until Tuesday or Wednesday.  We are going a little stir crazy but at least he is getting something to fill his tummy.  He is still not happy about not getting to eat by mouth.  So this has been very hard on both of us. 
The other kids are doing well, they sure do miss their little brother.  Joel brought them down on Friday night to visit.  Owen's face light up like a Christmas tree.  He started babbling and waving his hands, kicking his feet.  I really did my heart good to see him smile again.
I just want to thank all my prayer warriors.  If you all would just continue to pray for Owen to feel satisfied with the tube feeding because he may be on if for a while even after the surgery. 
Amy C, thank you so much, you were a Godsend.  You were just what I needed at the lowest point of my day.  You came and filled my spirit.   I know God is here with us and I am now at peace. 
Sorry I can't post any pictures, but I am just lucky to have internet service right now.

A few words from Joel - I do not know what I would do without Melissa.  She is such a wonderful mother and it is amazing to watch how Owen has fallen in love with her and trusts her.  Until about 3:00pm yesterday it had been very frustrating (since Owen did not get any food for 32+ hours!) but Melissa continued to love and comfort him.  She has not left his site since we arrived at the ER.  Owen knows she will never leave him and is always going to take care of him.  It is also wonderful to see Ansely, Elliot and Iris love their little brother.  It is a blessing to hear them say their prayers for him and tell me how they had been praying for Owen throughout the days.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Owen is going through this. That must be so difficult when he can't understand why he can't eat. Poor baby! We are praying for you all.

    Also, did they put his feeding tube into his jejunum? If they can do that that would help reduce his aspiration risk with a tube feeding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for all of you, Melissa. I hope you can get surgery soon and get your precious son on his way to health.

    ReplyDelete