The Red Thread

Once our eyes have been opened we can't pretend that
we don't know what to do; for God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls
knows that we know and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs
24:12

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What Are The Next Steps

The Chambers family is doing well but things seem very busy (typcial for this time of year).  Iris is adjusting more each day along with Ansley and Elliot.  They all seem to be falling into their places in the family and life is getting back to normal.

Yesterday we visited CCVI (school for visually impaired children) and they are great.  Melissa and I had visited this facilty several months ago when we knew Iris would be joining our family.  CCVI evaluauted Iris to determine what she can see.  Up til now the doctors have only told us she has limited vision but they expect improvement.  CCVI evaluated her based on colors, shapes, light, and other variables.  They spent one hour with three people evlauating her and their evaluating is based on what she can see currently.

It was great to visit with CCVI as they focus on vision and how to prepare young children to survive with a visual impairment.  However, it was "humbling" to hear them tell us she is severly impaired.  Until now I knew she had limited vision but it hit home with CCVI telling us this.  Until now I focused more on the chance of improvement rather than what she needs now which is time spent with professionals teaching her.

CCVI provided us with a lot of things to think about (that we had not thought of).  Will she need a cane so others know she is impaired?  Teach her ways to be safe when she is in unfamiliar areas.  So many things we have not thought of and I am sure over the next several years our family will encounter new things daily.

The county we live in contracts through CCVI so we will have someone visit our home and work with Iris one-on-one.  This will start very soon and they will provide this service until she turns three.  Once she turns three the county turns her over to the school district.  The school district we are in is one of the only dstricts in the Kansas City area that does not contract to CCVI.  They have contracted to them a few times in the past for certain kids but it is rare. 

We will meet with the school district and have her evaluated and see what they will offer.  Our hope is that we can get them to contract with CCVI for Iris.  Based on what we know it seems like the district will not be able to provide the best environment for Iris.  We will talk to the district with an open mind and see what their plan is.  If they will not contract to CCVI and we feel she needs to be at CCVI then we will find a way to send her there and pay for it.

4 comments:

  1. Jeremiah 29:11...For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD...
    The Lord has great plans in store for Iris. I am in awe of her....she already inspires me so much. Look at what the Lord has done already in bringing her safely into your arms to a family that loves her more than words can express. Across so many miles He has brought her to a mama, daddy, sister, brother, and all the rest of us!!
    I walk by faith even when I can not see, because this broken road prepares Your will for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I am so glad to hear that you had a productive visit with CCVI. I had a little girl who had a visual impairment in my kindergarten class many years ago and I was able to go with her to a school very similar to CCVI and watch her get evaluated. It was amazing! Your county will have to pay for Iris to go to CCVI if it is the best place for Iris to be educated. Childern are placed an enviroment that is the least restrictive. It is the law! I have had to push very hard to get Parker speech and language services through our county. The speech therapist who did his initial evaluation told me that their job is not to teach Parker English. I was shocked! I called the supervisor and they are in the process of getting him more than the one hour a month they reluctantly gave him. You are your only child's advocate as I have learned! I am thinking of you and praying for sweet Iris!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful that you have a place like CCVI so close by. What a blessing. I am sorry to hear that the news from their evaluation was so humbling. I do hope that the district is willing to contract with them for Iris' sake. But I know what you mean about sparing no expense for nothing but the best for her.

    Next week Caleb is seeing a surgeon for a possible second surgery. And we will have to pay out of pocket for his (enormous) fees because he is the ONLY doctor in the country to do this type of surgery. I sure hope and pray it doesn't come to this for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just stopping in to say 'Hi'. I read your comment on Ni Hao Y'all about naming their newest baby and I marvelled at the list - you managed to list 4 out of the 5 names that I had on the list for my AD from China - Alice, Beatrice, Clara, Matilda and Romilly! She was Clara all the time I was waiting but Alice when I met her.
    I'm now going to read the rest of your blog, thanks,
    Kate
    aka Whatshername's Mummy, very proud Mama of Alice Ming from Yunnan
    www.kes44p.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete