The Red Thread

Once our eyes have been opened we can't pretend that
we don't know what to do; for God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls
knows that we know and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs
24:12

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Ours Hearts Grow Stronger

We continue to wonder what the future holds for our family. We pray and think about our little girl from China. We wonder if she can see. Melissa and I have spent the last several days talking about what it would be like to bring a child into our family who is visually impaired. The tough part is deciding if we are making the best decision for her and us.

I spent this weekend at Alpha Weekend in Topeka and it was a great opportunity for me to clear my mind and focus on God. Our group was very spiritual and it was awesome to know the Holy Spirit was with us. I shared our situation with multiple people and received prayer from many.

I had the opportunity to meet Jim who is a retired Lutheran Pastor. Jim was part of the prayer team for the weekend. Jim and I spoke during a few hour break on Saturday afternoon. Jim adopted three kids in the 70s from other countries and it was great to hear his stories. I shared our story and he was a great comforter. He said several things that have stuck in my mind for the past 24 hours. He assured me God would not put something on our family that we could not handle.

So far Melissa and I have been asking that God would speak to us and let us know if this is the child for us. He is leading us to adopt a child who may blind? Are we not listening to him? Is he giving us direction but we are doing to much thinking in our heads?

Jim suggest that we change our approach. Maybe we should decide we are moving forward with this child and ask God to "shut the door if it is not the right thing for us or for her".

Earlier in the week Melissa received an email from a person who has adopted two blind children and has other children with good vision. The email was awesome. She told us how normal their life was! This was very encouraging.

Ansley and Elliot continue to pray for their new little sister. Hearing them pray for their sister is one of the most precious things I have witnessed in my life. Their prayers include healing for her eyes along with things like: safety, food, love, and asking that she has friends to play with until we bring her home because she will need friends to help her play until we can get her eyes fixed. They are both so ready to love and help their little sister.

I think Melissa and I are both starting to feel like we are going to adopt this little girl regardless of any medical exam. We both feel like if we prepare and expect the worst case scenario then we will not be disappointed. Melissa has schedule a meeting with a local school for the blind. We both feel this will be a good learning experience and may help us to better understand visual impairments.

Our family is very supportive and has also fallen in love with our little girl. We all continue to pray for healing. Melissa and I continue to pray for guidance and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment