The Red Thread

Once our eyes have been opened we can't pretend that
we don't know what to do; for God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls
knows that we know and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs
24:12

Thursday, February 2, 2012

What's up Doc?

Owen had his doctor's appointment to see if his fistula had healed.  We got mixed news.  First his site is healing very nicely.  They took about 38 photos and just about missed the small little hole.  They only saw it on the 32nd picture.  Then they took more just to confirm.  Sure enough, there is a tiny little spot that is still open.  So now we need to go back in two weeks for another swallow test to see if there is any more healing.  Then if there is still a hole  he will have to do the "plug" surgery again. 
So I guess we better get used to the feeding tube.  I don't know why, but this such a disappointment to me.  I really wanted to get rid of this thing.  We are all feeling more comfortable with the tube but it is such a pain.  It really hinders his mobility.  It is so hard to learn to walk with a tube hanging down around your feet.  Tummy time is also hard with this thing in the way.  I just want my little boy to eat and play like any other normal little boy.  I know that I should be grateful that our situation will end and Owen will be able to be free of the feeding tube at some point. 
I am so thankful for every blessing that is Owen.  He is such a wonderful little guy.  You just can't help but fall in love with him.   He is getting use to the feeding tube even though he would much rather eat.  The doctor was tickled at how willingly he opened his mouth for the barium.  It tastes horrible.  He was so excited to have something to put in his mouth.  Poor little man.  I promise that when he gets that tube out we will get him what ever he wants.  Chocolate ice cream sound about right to me. 

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that Owen will need an additional surgery. I have been praying for him. I hope the swallowing study goes well. I am sure it won't be fun to do it all over again for anyone! Thinking of you!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying that the tiny hole seals itself off and no extra surgery is needed. Owen is such a doll.

    Last night, I thought of you all as we were watching a Netflix movie on China, and they showed the Stone Forest.

    ReplyDelete