The Red Thread

Once our eyes have been opened we can't pretend that
we don't know what to do; for God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls
knows that we know and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs
24:12

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Stop this ride, I want to get off

Owen had this check up today..... This crazy thing will never end.  Our surgeon who scheduled this appointment, was not there.  In his defense, he did tell us that he would not be here.  He was going to be out of town.  No big deal, his partner could do the follow up visit.  So we go into the surgery clinic after the radiology appointment.  There is no one there.   ALL the doctors are in the same seminar!  So much for his partner.  So we say that is okay, we don't need to see him, we only need to schedule an appointment for surgery since the hole is still not closed.  The nurse says okay, Dr. Juang will be out of the office until March 2.  Then she will get us in for a clinic appointment.  Dr Juang will schedule surgery at that time.  I try to tell her that that is not acceptable.  Owen will not wait 2 weeks for him to decide when to do the surgery.  So we ask if any of his partners can do the surgery sooner.  She says she will talk to him on Monday and see but for right now all she can do is schedule us for clinic on March 2. 

After going home and thinking about this some more.  I call back up there to tell her she really needs to call Dr. Juang on his lunch break and see if someone else can do the surgery.  She calls me back and says Dr. Juang said since it is not a life threatening issue he will not ask anyone else to do the surgery.  We will need to wait until March then we will see what the surgery schedule looks like. 

So I, being so mad, start calling other hospitals in the area.  I get a hold of  another hospital that does kids.  They haven't ever even seen Owen and they were able to get him in on Tuesday and possibly surgery on Thursday.  So I call Dr Juang's office back to see how I get his info sent over.  She tells me, "We have no problem sending his info to that doctor, but you probably won't get in any sooner."  I said well, we all ready have on appointment set for next week!  I am so tired of this hospital and everyone in it.  One would think they would rather have a partner do the surgery with the possibility of doing the next one,  but now we will never go back to him again.  I understand that Owen's condition is "NOT LIFE THREATENING" but it is important to us and to have to wait 2 to 3 weeks is ridiculous.  Never mind that he has a feeding tube in that he pulls out every week and we have to pay $100 every time we walk into the emergency room to have it put back in.  Or that he is on the most expensive formula known to man.  Yes, not life threatening, but still life altering none the less.   Plus he will not even be able to eat cake on his first birthday home with his family. 

3 comments:

  1. You go mama! Life altering can be quite difficult! So glad you got a new dr. Praying for your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how frustrating the run-around they give you sometimes can be - BTDT! Glad you found someone else who can get you in sooner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is I am so sorry you are going through all of this!!! I feel so sad for Owen and so frustrated for you! I am so proud of how you handled the whole situation! We have to stand up for our little ones to get them the best care! I hope the new doctor will fix Owen up and he will be able to just worry about being a kid and playing!!!! I would call the other hospital and complain about the treatment you received. I had to do that when Sophia was in the hospital and didn't get the quality of care I felt she deserved. I will probaly have to call again before Piper goes in to have her next heart surgery too. They place her in a caged crib and Erik had to sleep in there with her because they wouldn't let her sleep in the two beds (that were pushed together) for Erik to sleep in. I will have to remind them that an adopted child is different from a biological child in their needs both emotionally and medically. Our children may not have "life threatening" conditions, but it is life threatening to their emotional stablility in the long term. I wish I was closer so I could be more of a support to you! Just know I am thinking and praying for you each and every day!!!!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete